Saturday, September 13, 2008

Nikon D300 vs. Canon 50D
















Okay, so I'm looking for a new camera. I have been shooting Olympus, but need to upgrade to a camera with a larger sensor and more lens choices. I need to go with Canon or Nikon. Soooo do I wait for the 50D in October or go with the best current Nikon (D300) in my price range? Apparently Nikon flash systems and low light capabilities are better, while Canon has the focusing perfect. The 50D is supposed to completely rival the D300 where the 40D couldn't, but the Canon glass is apparently preferable and that's ultimately the most important part right? I'm so confused and consumed by this that I'm annoying everyone I know with constant questions and camera discussion. I should buy the guy at Calumet a present for having to deal with me for an hour of questions today! I wish someone would just tell me what to do!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I went from Canon's Rebel XT, to the 40D, then to the D300. I dont regret the switch from Canon to Nikon one bit. I know I have the best camera in hand to make the best pixs without questioning the product I bought.

Some big differences between the two in regard to it being user friendly... Canon 40D had pre shoot choices such as Potrait, Landscape, Night, ect. The D300 does not have this. Everything has to be customized and its an excellent camera with tons of features that require time to explore.

Hope this helps.

Natasha said...

i like my canon xsi so far... its realllllllly light. and i like that because i can just shove it in my bag and go.

i dont think it matters one bit what you get. i think thats why its a hard decision. just pick one, you'll love it no matter what and if you want to switch later, you can.

Anonymous said...

The d300 as it stands is the leading prosumer dslr. The 50d is just playing catchup. You will enjoy either camera. In regards to the lenses at this point you can really start to split hairs. It's a constant game of leapfrog. Any lens that you want from canon nikon has, and vice versa. The reason the d300 just dwarfs the 50d is the 51 point autofocus system, higher ISO capability, and the nikon ergonomics and usability. Other than those issues the cameras are extremely comparable. In regards to lenses, I would encourage you to go to a pro shop and physically handle nikons vs canons lenses. I believe you will notice substantially better build quality in one make over the other. Either way you won't go wrong with either. Ps the d300 color rendition is out of this world. The only camera I would buy over a nikon right now is the 5d mkii and that is still a maybe. Hope this helps.